Monday, November 21, 2005

body prayer

I have been working my way through the book Body Prayer

For someone who is a spiritual leader, prayer has never been high on my list of gifts, mostly because I need to move around. We have been taught to sit still and pray – and I have found in my life that I listen better – and process better – with some kind of movement.

This book is a great example of how we can live our lives more fully in prayer. Doug and K.P. take you through a series of prayers and prayer postures, which can help to guide and enhance how we pray.

I have been able to take these postures and prayers use them in my daily practices (putting lotion on my hands, yoga postures, surfing, how I sit or stand when I talk with others . . .) and they have become reminders both of God’s presence and that I can pray in all that I do.

We so often think that when we pray we need to drop everything and concentrate only on that one thing – and while I think that is a wonderful way to practice a prayer life – it has never completely fit for me.

Check it out – it’s a great resource.

No comments: