Monday, October 10, 2005

What we do . . .

My husband, Tim, suggested to me the other day, how nice it would be to come into work in the morning (when he is still half asleep) and see an email with a reminder of our faith journey. I know a number of pastors and ministry cultivators send out daily devotions. And kudos to them. It is a difficult discipline. I am not sure I could keep up the pace. Although, I agree a quote and a bible verse or a song or a word (one simple word) is a great reminder in the morning - as we start our day - what it is that we value and who it is that we are.

a thought
quote
phrase
song
scripture

(any or all of the above) for the day. I think that working together we could create something simple. So suggestions are more then welcome, they are humbly requested.

Here are some thoughts for today . . .


"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aritsotle

Ephesians 5
1Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children . . .

15Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. 18Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. 19Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.


Peace to you . . .

2 comments:

dydimustk said...

what do you mean?

erin_m said...

obviously not very clear - was I? sometimes I just write out loud.

Basically - we "become" what Nouwen would call the "Beloved" out of our practice and habits. We "become" mature Christians as we act like mature Christians. We "become" to believe in Christ as we act like we believe in Christ.

Although this is highly simplified, I certianly think the reverse is true as well. When we act/practice life in ways that are demeaning, denying dignity, and/or slandering others we become demeaning, slanderous and a component of the rejection of much of what is good and beautiful in the world.

I just don't think that is what God has in mind for us. - and it is a daily prayer for me that I might remember who I am, before I have time to forget.