Tuesday, February 07, 2006

two things

Two things I learned/relearned/have epiphanies about today . . .

1 – on the subject of “selling myself” in order to start a church. I always though that idea was a little bogus – plus it made me feel really uncomfortable – and frankly doesn’t really sound like me – So I am learning again to re-write the story – make it my own – my own descriptions/verbs/actions – and basically the God story of my life.

So as I go about my work I find myself finding me. I am about being where God is calling me (or trying to pay attention and attempt to be where God is calling me). One of the most helpful pieces of advice that keeps re-surfacing through a variety of people and in a variety of places is that God made me who I am – and all I need to do is to be me. Frankly there are a time when that is really easy – and there are times when that is really hard – but it is a whole lot easier to be me – than trying to be someone else.

2 – I learned today that it is possible to find fun and purpose in things that I actually do not excel at. (Or at least I am told that this is possible.) This is a foreign concept for me. I have learned that I am much more competitive than I like to think I am - and I enjoy doing things with others in which I can either come alongside them and/or lead. I get frustrated being left in the back – or when others have to wait for me . . .

All this comes from a weekend of snowboarding possibilities. Last spring I broke my wrist and was fairly incapacitated for a few weeks. It was not fun. And although I am a little concerned about getting hurt again – I am more concerned that I have not yet been able to excel at this sport. This will be my 4th season (granted I have probably hit the slopes on a snowboard less than 8 times) and I feel the necessity to be doing better.

So check out the story as it unfolds next week – can I learn to be myself on the slopes and have fun – or do I learn to be myself and quite doing things that I don’t particularly enjoy (even if it means giving up time with my husband).

Peace

2 comments:

dydimustk said...

Hey Erin,

Have you read "Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation" by Parker J. Palmer? If you haven't I would suggest it. If you have, then it sounds like you've already picked up on what he has to share.

You are in our prayers and we can't wait to see you again someday.

erin_m said...

yes - I am a big fan of Palmer. not to mention that my parents are both educators, so Parker Palmer has been in influence in my life - even efore I knew who he was!