Wednesday, September 28, 2005

humility

Tim and I attended a nearby church community last Sunday night. The question for the evening that we were asked to talk with our neighbors about was "when have you recently experienced humility". My first thought was "Right Now?! You expect me to tell people I don't know where my weakness is!" and then it hit me . . . surfing. Yes, surfing makes me humble.

I have had the wonderful opportunity to go surfing a few times in the past week - once in the fog (which was cool and eerie at the same time) and once last weekend - when I actually had Tim push me into the waves. It was that extra push that really helped - I stood up a few times. It also helped that our friends Jeff and Kerri were there and Kerri was standing up and I would think - Hey - why am I not doing that.

Anyway - back to the humility. When Tim and I surfed in the fog - I got pounded a few times. One would think that a person who swims as much as I do would be fine in the water, but the waves (as fun as they are to ride) can really punish you for not paying attention, and not reading them well. (For those who would like to read a "church" analogy into this one feel free).

So the attempt at surfing this past week was humbling. Knowing there is yet another thing that I don't do well (yet). Learning respect for the surf (which any good surfer would tell you is part what it is to surf), feeling the necessity of added help to succeed, and a reminder that every new thing takes time and practice.

Yes, every new thing takes time and practice (and lots of times - patience and prayer).

It has been a good reminder for me this week to look into those things that I could practice more, where I need patience and that it is not me who is in control, I am just trying to ride the wave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

found your blog through naomi through lilly through a friend of mine...anyway, i totally related to your surfing experiance. i've been "learning" to surf for years. hope you keep giving it a go. maybe i'll see you out there sometime. i'd be the one who looks like a real surfer until i try to catch a wave...