Sunday, September 18, 2005

what's new?

This last week has been a strange and difficult time for me. Sooooo far from home - this week I felt it. After considering what it is that I have been missing, I realized that (although I miss seeing family and friends in MN whenever I feel like it) the toughest part for me is the continual new-ness.

There are of course times in our lives when the new-ness of something can be exciting, engaging and energizing (how's that for illiteration) Like so many firsts - a first kiss, a first roller coster ride, a first home run . . .

When one moves to a different place and the excitement of the new-ness wears off - where are we left, but to create new familiar things and places. It is the task that is now at hand for me. Creating new routes for running and biking, creating new relationships with the people around me and professionals that we have needs for like doctors, dentists, bankers, hair stylits (this is a very important one for me of course . . . ) and then there is the search for a church home.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to be paid to help form, facilitate, cultivate or curate a comunity of faith, where is it that you worship until the time comes for that comunity to journey together? I have been asked that question by a number of people. Where is it that Tim and I will find to gather with others for worship? (any ideas? tips?)

Sometimes new-ness can take it toll - and although this was a rough week of missing the familiar - I look forward to gathering more nuggets of information about the community of 92127, I am eager to see new homes, meet new people, see new faces, create new images, learn new languages, find new little shops and places to "run into" people . . .

For me (and maybe a little for Tim) the new-ness abounds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wisdom from around the mommy blogs
I've been surfing this weekend, and I found a few gems that seem to really sum up what it's like to be a mommy in this mad, mad, mad, blog world.
Try not to become a man of success.
Rather become a man of value."

Albert Einstein
American Theoretical Physicist
chinese food site/blog. It pretty much covers chinese food related stuff.