Thursday, September 29, 2005

Seeing Lance

I just got back from an exciting trip 5 miles south to the beautiful parking lot of Scripps Hospital where I waited for 2 hours to see Lance Armstrong. (They were an hour behind in their schedule) What a dork! (I mean me). The Tour of HOPE(http://tourofhope.com/toh/2005_events/scripps.htm) to raise cancer awareness started here in San Diego today. It was great to go and chat with people and be with others who are working to raise awareness. We all are touched by cancer somehow. But in truth - although I hate to admit it - I went to see Lance.

Now I am not generally one to get real excited about seeing famous people. Although I have had a few strange encounters. Tim and I used to report Dan Neil sightings to each other when we would see him running around New Brighton. But Lance Armstrong seemed like a good person to make an effort to go see. And that was what I got to do - see Lance. (And you can too - later today I will post a few pictures I got.)

I guess not everyone has that chance to catch a glimpse of one of his or her heroes in the flesh. I guess it could be a big deal. For me, the big deal was the conversations I had with the people around me. Now if Lance was one of those people - then that would have made my day/week/month - I think after a month it would be pretty much worn off. For now, I am glad that I got to have some good conversations with some neat San Diegans.

Another learning experience . . .

No comments: